PARENT & STUDENT CHROMEBOOK HANDBOOK
All Students in Grades 6-12 Must Read and Sign Below
The policies, procedures and information within this document apply to all Chromebooks used at Foundation Academy by students, staff or guests, and includes any other device considered by the administration to fall under this policy.
Receiving Your Chromebook
In 8th-12th Grade, the Chromebook belongs to the family who signs for the Chromebook. In 6th-7th Grade, the Chromebook belongs to Foundation Academy. The student’s use of the Chromebook on Foundation Academy property is limited to and conditioned upon full and complete compliance with the Foundation Academy Chromebook User Agreement and this handbook. Chromebooks will be distributed in August. Parents/Guardians and students must sign and return the Chromebook Handbook Agreement, before the Chromebook and charger will be issued to their child.
Administrative Access & Management
The student and parent/guardian will grant Foundation Academy full access and management of the Chromebook. Foundation Academy will manage updates, application installation as well as filtering and monitoring for the student’s Chromebook and School account. Attempted removal or disabling of these and other Foundation Academy installed systems will be considered a violation of this agreement and may result in disciplinary action, the limiting or termination of device usage on School property or for school events and/or work or legal action at the discretion of Foundation Academy.
Repairs & Replacements
Students are responsible for the care of their Chromebooks and all related accessories. Parents/Guardians agree to repair or replace the device or any accessory in case of damage resulting in the device becoming un-operational.
Chromebooks Undergoing Repair
Loaner Chromebooks may be issued to students when their device is undergoing repair or replacement. loaner Chromebooks will be issued on a first come first serve basis until supply is depleted. Students who forgot their device or fail to charge their device may receive a one-time loaner, subsequent loaners will result in a demerit.
All loaner Chromebooks must be returned by 3:30pm on the day the device was issued or a $5 per day lending fee will be charged to the student and their legal guardian until the device is returned or the Chromebook is replaced.
Students and parent/guardians accept responsibility for any damages caused to the Chromebook during the period of time in which the loaner Chromebook was in the possession of the student. All repair or replacement costs will be paid by the parent/guardian of the student.
It is important that students keep their school data synced to the cloud drives so documents and class projects will not be lost in case of damage or loss to personal or loaner Chromebooks.
Chromebook Technical Support
Foundation Academy will provide technical help in troubleshooting Chromebook issues during school hours 7:30am through 3:30pm EST Monday through Friday excluding student holidays or teacher work days.
It is the student’s responsibility to make any difficulty or issue with their Chromebook known to a faculty member so the appropriate technical support can be requested.
Technical support MAY include but not limited to
- User account support
- Coordination of warranty repair
- Distribution of loaner Chromebooks
- Operating System or software configuration support
- Restoring Chromebook to factory default
- System software updates
Students are responsible for the general care of the Chromebook issued by the school. Chromebooks that are damaged or malfunctioning in a way that prevents the student from being able to utilize them during school hours must be replaced. If a loaner device is needed, one may be issued to the student until their Chromebook can be repaired or replaced (See loaner details in the section entitled Chromebooks Undergoing Repair.)
- Food or drink is not recommended near or on the Chromebook.
- Students should never carry their Chromebook while the screen is open.
- Chromebooks should be shut down when not in use to conserve battery life.
- Chromebooks should never be forced into a locker or book bag as this may damage the screen.
- Chromebooks should not be exposed to extreme temperatures or direct sunlight for extended periods of time. Extreme heat or cold may cause damage to the Chromebook.
- Chromebooks must be allowed to reach room temperature prior to being turned on.
- The Chromebook screen can be damaged if subjected to improper treatment.
- The screens are particularly sensitive to excessive pressure and temperatures.
- Do not lean on top of the Chromebook.
- Do not carry the Chromebook by the screen.
- Do not place anything near the Chromebook that could put pressure on the screen.
- Do not place anything on the keyboard before closing the lid (e.g. pens, pencils, notebooks).
- Clean the screen with a soft, dry anti-static, or micro-fiber cloth. Do not use window cleaner, water or any other liquid on the Chromebook.
Using Your Chromebook at Home
All students are required to take their Chromebook home each night throughout the school year. Chromebooks must be brought to school each day fully charged. When fully charged, the battery should last throughout the school day.
All usage of the Chromebook, both on and off campus must be in compliance with the Student/Parent Handbook and Behavior Guide.
Using Your Chromebook at School
The Chromebook is intended for use at school every day. Students are responsible for bringing their Chromebook to all classes. Students should use their Chromebook and fastudent.net email account for school-related communications and work. Failure to bring your Chromebook to class and fully charged may result in disciplinary action or detriment to participation grade at teacher’s discretion. Chromebooks should not be in use during lunch or morning break.
Sound must be muted at all times during school hours unless permission is obtained from the teacher for instructional purposes. Headphones are permitted in non-classrooms settings. In the classroom setting, headphone use is at the teacher’s discretion.
Adding Files and Data
Students may add appropriate music, photos, videos as well as other documents and media to their Google Drive. Personalized media must follow the Foundation Academy Acceptable Use Policy and are subject to inspection.
Inappropriate media includes, but is not limited to depictions of or references to:
- Vulgarity or profanity
- Drug usage and paraphernalia
- Nudity, pornography, obscene images, sexual acts or explicit material
- Violent acts
- Cyber Bullying
- Copyrighted Materials
Managing Your Files and Saving Your Work
Students may save documents to their Google Drive or to an external memory device. Saving to Google Drive will make the file accessible from any computer with internet access. It will be the responsibility of the student to maintain the integrity of their files and to keep proper backups.
All Chromebooks are supplied with the latest build of Google Chrome Operating System (OS), and many other applications useful in an educational environment. The Chrome OS will automatically install updates when the computer is shut down and restarted. The software originally installed on the Chromebook must remain on the Chromebook in usable condition and easily accessible at all times. From time to time, the school may add software or apps for use in a particular course. This process will be automatic. Applications that are no longer needed will automatically be removed by the school as well.
Google Play Store
Students will be able to install additional applications on their Chromebook from the approved Foundation Academy Google Store.
Parents of students using non-loaner school-issued Chromebooks will receive an invitation at the beginning of the year to setup their Parent Securly account. Securly will send you weekly reports of how your student uses their Chromebook and indicate if your student attempts to access blocked content. Additionally, you can choose to open up streaming services while off campus.
Students may be required to provide their Chromebook and accessories for inspection. Discovery of inappropriate use or content will be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with Student/Parent Handbook and Behavior Guide.
Protection & Storage
Students’ Chromebooks are indentified digitally by serial number. Students may not destroy or remove the serial number from the device. Students may have their device engraved with their name.
Storing Your Chromebook
When students are not using their Chromebook, it should remain in their possession or be stored in their lockers with the lock securely fastened. The Chromebook is not to be stored in lockers or anywhere else at school outside of school hours. Under no circumstances should a student leave their Chromebook unattended.
Storing Your Chromebook at Extracurricular Events
Students are responsible for securely storing their Chromebook during extracurricular events. A locked locker is suggested for storage.
Leaving Foundation Academy
When a student is unenrolled from Foundation Academy due to Graduation, not returning, expulsion or any other reason that would effectively dissolve the students connection with Foundation Academy, Foundation Academy will un-enroll the student’s device from all management, filtering and administerial software and accounts and relinquish their right to access maintain or otherwise interact with the device without the approval or consent of the student or guardian. Upon un-enrollment it will become the responsibility of the student and/or guardian to maintain, manage, filter and secure the content of the device.
Chromebook Usage Agreement
Parents and Students and Expected to Read and Sign Below
I agree to respect myself & respect others:
- I will select online names that are appropriate.
- I will demonstrate respect for myself and for others when posting information and images online, including personal information about my life, experiences, or relationships.
- I will not be obscene.
- I will not use electronic mediums to flame, bully, harass or stalk other people.
- I will not visit sites that are degrading, pornographic, racist or inappropriate.
- I will not abuse my rights of access by entering other people’s private spaces or accounts.
- I agree to disagree online in a respectful manner.
I agree to educate myself & connect with others:
- I will request permission to use resources.
- I will suitably cite any and all use of websites, books, media, etc.
- I will validate information.
- I will not download, upload, post or publish any copyrighted images, videos, audio files, software or other content, media or material unless I have been granted the right to do so.
- I will request to use the software and media others produce.
- I will use free and open-source alternatives rather than pirating software.
- I will purchase my music and media, and refrain from distributing these in a manner that violates their licenses.
I agree to protect myself & protect others:
- I will ensure that the information, images and materials I post online will not put me or others at risk.
- I will not attempt to modify or disable any system or application installed or managed by Foundation Academy.
- I will not publish personal details, contact details or a schedule of mine or others’ activities.
- I will report any attacks or inappropriate behavior directed at me or others to a faculty member.
- I will protect passwords, accounts and resources.
- I will protect others by reporting abuse, not forwarding inappropriate materials or communications, and not visiting sites that are degrading, pornographic, racist or inappropriate.
- I understand that no online communication is ever private.
- I understand that my Chromebook and online files managed under the foundationacademy.net, FAStudent.net or any other Foundation Academy owned domain are subject to search, scrutiny or confiscation at the discretion of Foundation Academy.
- I agree to the terms and conditions outlined in the Chromebook Handbook.
I assume full responsibility for my Chromebook:
- I accept responsibility for care, maintenance and security of my Chromebook.
- I agree to pay for repair/replacement of my Chromebook in the event of loss or damage.
- I will shut down my Chromebook when not in use and bring it to school fully charged daily.
- I will not loan out my Chromebook.
- I will not attempt to modify the hardware or Operating System (OS) of my Chromebook.
- I will not carry my Chromebook by its screen.
- If I choose to decorate my Chromebook, I will not use any offensive or inappropriate language or imagery nor will I cover or alter the engraving on my Chromebook.
- I will report my Chromebook lost or stolen to the School by the next school day.
- I understand that the Chromebook I am issued is subject to inspection at any time without notice.
- I have read and will follow the policies outlined in the Chromebook Policy Handbook while at school as well as outside of school.
Thank you for reading this document in its entirety, please complete the form below. This is a requirement of using a Chromebook at Foundation Academy.
Chromebook Handbook Agreement
Please enter your name to indicate you’ve read and agree to the terms and conditions laid out within the Chromebook Handbook above.